Re: Sputtering problem

From: David I. Rupp (pampydave(at)wazoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 09:34:56 CDT

Dear Steve,

    I'm new to Alpine ownership and not really familiar with the distributor
or ignition, so I'm probably all wet. But this sounds similar to a problem
I had years ago with an International Van. Tuned up the engine, changed
points, etc. Engine ran great at certain RPM, but like dog s.... at other
RPM, spent much $ and many hours, before it was discover by accident that
the new screw used to hold the points in place was longer than the original
and therefore when the counter weights began to rotate outward to advance
the spark they would come in contact with the screw and short out the
system. I'm probably way off base, but a short in the ignition system,
caused by something will certain cause the problem you describe.

Pampydave