Re: Series V Convertible Top Installation!

From: Sergio Dimarmo (iwander(at)ibm.net)
Date: Thu Feb 26 1998 - 21:06:00 CST

Bflak1060 wrote:

> Fellow Alpiners,
>
> I am getting ready to install a new Robbins convertible top on my 66 Series V.
> I have everything ready to go. Is this a job that should be left to a
> professional or have enough of you done it with good success that I can forego
> a hefty auto upholstery bill and do it myself. I was quoted $200-$250 to have
> it installed. I am sure I am not the first guy to think about doing this
> myself. I would appreciate any input from those of you that have successfully
> done it yourself!
>
> Thanxs,
>
> Bob Flak (bflak1060(at)aol.com)

Hi Bob,

I replaced the top on my Series V and the only thjing that I had a
problem with was the back section where it attatches to the body
(interior compartment). I stretched it too much by doing it in the sun
and after a few months of raising and lowering it, I ended up tearing it
near the rear section trying to snap it into place. I think there is a
tech tip or a SSB that explains the correct way to install a new top. I
only wish I had know about that before I did mine because the
instuctions that come with it are only good for kindling.

Best of luck,

--
Sergio
1967 Sunbeam Alpine