Re: overdrive from volvo

William Lewis (wrlewis(at)ucdavis.edu)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 17:34:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Rex Funk wrote:

> Your description of the driveshaft modifications necessary for adapting the
> Volvo OD are clear. Just to confirm: Does the output shaft on the
> all-synchro Alpine OD trans fit a Volvo D type overdrive unit without
> modification? And will the Volvo OD bolt up to the existing adaptor on the
> trans in place of the Sunbeam OD without modification?

My Volvo unit bolts right up to the adapter on the back of the Sunbeam overdrive transmission. The Volvo unit and Sunbeam unit are nearly identical back to the annulus and the output shaft. The Volvo unit is flanged and the Sunbeam has a male output shaft. The Volvo unit also has a 25% reduction instead of the 22% I think the Sunbeam has. It is a very straight forward interchange.

Bill Lewis