Re: 4cyl

jumpin'jan (servaij(at)cris.com)
Tue, 07 Jul 1998 10:34:47 -0400

Bill Gullatt wrote: >
> Most speed shops can get bell housings for GM 4cyl to rear wheel drive
> conversions. They are made for Pony stock round trackers. I think you
> can get them for the newer Ford 2.0 also.
> Paul Burr wrote:
> > mated to the rear drive tranny. This set up would easily fit an Alpine,
> > weight at least 1/2 of an V8 swap. Anyone familar enough with the GM parts
> > catalog to add the right info about this swap?

PLEASE, let's not say that it will "easily fit an Alpine". I have been thinking about the Quad4 engine swap for about 6 months now. The engine is tall (for a four cyl) and may not clear the bonnet. Since the only Quad4 engine that I own is the one in my GTZ Beretta, I can't be sure of the fit. If I can find the time, I'll try to get some measurements on the engine height. I'm pretty sure that the long, intake manifold runners will not fit inside the Alpine engine compartment. The original computer, from a Quad4 vehicle, will need to be included in the swap (computer controlled ignition and F.I.). I see it as a very challenging engine swap; Much more challenging than the Ford V6 swap.

--
Jan Servaites
Helmet Painting Technologist