Transmission Woes

From: Andrew K Boetticher (a_boetticher(at)juno.com)
Date: Sat Apr 17 1999 - 01:10:12 CDT

The last week was spent tearing apart my transmission, which now resides
in individually labeled zip lock baggies scattered throughtout the shop.
The various replacment oil seals, gaskets, speedo drive wheel, etc.
arrived Thursday afternoon from SS, so I thought I was ready to start the
reassembly process. I was once again overly optimistic in thinking that
it would only take a couple of dedicated evenings.

I decided to pull out all the needle rollers on the layshaft cluster,
just to make sure they were all corrosion free. Sure enough, a handful
of them were pitted. Oh well....so much for having the transmission back
together by Sunday. Come Monday, a call to SS should take care of this
problem. Unfortunately, closer inspection of the layshaft cluster
revealed more bad news. On the polished face of the layshaft cluster
(the end with the smaller gear) I found a whole bunch of very fine,
barely detectable cracks radiating from the center of the shaft out
towards the gear teeth. The cracks are only visible on the polished
face, and do not appear to all the way through to the outer surface
(where the gear teeth are located).

My gut instinct tells me there is no hope for this particular layshaft
cluster, but given the fact that Sunbeams have many idiosyncrasies, it
doesn't hurt to ask:
 Is this a normal phenomena with the all-synchro transmission? Do the
cracks go so far then stop without causing any trouble? Should I go
ahead and use the layshaft cluster as is, or is it time to start looking
for a replacment?

Andy Boetticher
Seattle