RE: More Fun!!

From: Jarrid Gross (JGross(at)econolite.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 1999 - 12:22:39 CDT

Dick Sanders wrote,

>Please, tell us your thoughts on these oil pumps, as I've been running one
on
>my Series V for a year (about 8,000 miles), and would like to believe it'll

>get me to Big Sky and back.

The original MFGR was Eaton Hoburn, and I believe that the pumps were
purpose
designed for the 1492/1725 engine line. Since that company is not likely
to reproduce in the quantities that are currently needed by those who have
our engines, it is very likely that only NOS parts, or older talbot/pugeout
spares are available.
Since the price has varied between $19.99 and $49.99 for the VB pump,
and all the other parts venders run somewhat higher, one has to ask oneself,
where are these cheaper parts coming from?

VB has traditionally sold lifters also for less than half the price of
the other guys.
I have bought both lifters, and oil pumps from VB.
The lifters are definately seconds, possibly even rootes scrap.
Each and every lifter has a defect, in that there is a large break around
the rim of the lifter. You could still use them if you stoned the edges
of the lifter to keep the sharp edge from ruining your lifter bores.
I returned 2 sets back to VB, and bought the higher priced parts from
Curt.
Live and learn, even engine parts are crap from VB.

The oil pumps may have a similar pedigree, where drive gear may be
defective or missing a manufacturing step (like hardening or even worse,
too much hardening).

This is only a theory, perhaps Curt can shed some more light on where
VB gets their garbage?

>Who else has had this problem with lost teeth?

Steve Alcala's 1600 engine was equipped with a 1725 oilpump and pickup.
This, for more oil capacity, and so a SV cam could be used.
It died the exact same death fairly recently.
The engine was somewhat stock, except that is had a cam in it.
This was not a high RPM engine, nor was it abused.

Also, to refresh your memories, Steve Sage recently had very high oil
pressure problems, which will load the pump drive gear more than usual.
That coupled with a defective drive gear, and we have a likely
explanation for what lead to his engine problems.

Jarrid Gross