More Fun!!

From: steve sage (rootes(at)ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Apr 17 1999 - 16:41:04 CDT

Hello Alpiners:
As I think I posted a couple of days ago, heading down the freeway at
around 70MPH, my Alpine backfired through the Strombergs three or four
times and the motor just plain shut down. It would turn over but not
start after that. I figured my electronic ignition had failed so I
switched back over to points. No luck. I tried a replacement coil.
Nothing. Checked the valve adjustment. OK.

Further investgation revealed that the timing was way off. Here's what
turns out to be the reason: Removal of the distributor reveals that the
teeth of the oil pump to distributor gears are all worn or broken off!
The oil pan will be coming off on Monday to see if the cam is OK or if
there was simply a failure of the oil pump gear for some reason. Has
anyone else had this happen?

The only good part of all this is that, before I'm done with it, I'll
have my overdrive in, my head gasket replaced and the head repaired if
needed, my 4:22 differential gone through (very noisy above 40MPH), and
my cooling system gone through. If the cam does need to be replaced, I'm
going with a bit more agressive grind this time. I figure if I spend
enough time and money on it, the Alpine will be ready for the trip to
SUNI III in July.

Steve Sage