Alpine Rebuilding Questions

From: Kurt Eckert (keckert(at)terascape.com)
Date: Tue Apr 27 1999 - 14:08:11 CDT

I don't think that this got through the first time so I am going to send it
again. If it is a dupe, I apologize.

Kurt

Hi All,

I am in the process of the final rebuilding my Series III GT and I have come
up with some questions.

Here they are.....

1. I am installing one of the Pertronics "under the distributor"
electronic ignition units. How do others have this wired? I am trying to
rebuild the whole engine bay wiring from scratch and this is confusing the
issue.

2. Where the heck are all the fuses? According to the workshop manual
schematic, there is a bunch of fuses labled A1, A2, A3 and A4. I have traced
the wires that are supposed to go to this place with no luck.

3. I have found the place on the drivers side (LHD) of the engine
compartment where it looks like the headlights connect but it looks like
both the right and the left headlights have to connect there. The wires on
my headlights are not long enough for the right headlight to route all the
way to the opposite corner of the engine compartment. Is there supposed to
be an extension wire that gets it over there or does it connect somewhere on
the passenger side.

4. I can't find the wires where the front turn signals connect.

5. The gas line, where it is supposed to connect to the glass-top fuel
pump has this funky round thing that I can't figure out. The pipe ends in a
tube that has a round ring that looks like it fits right up next to the
inlet on the fuel pump. I have no clue how it actually attaches. Any hints?

6. I need a throttle linkage for a dual Stromberg setup. I have no clue
where mine has wandered off too. Anyone have one they can part with?

7. I also need the fuel line splitter for the dual Stromberg setup. This
is the pipe that actually screws into the carbs. I can only assume that mine
is off frolicking with the throttle linkage somewhere. Again, if you could
part with one it would help.

8. I have a nice stainless steel exhaust system that is designed for a
system with headers. I am using the cast iron manifold that is correct for
the GT. Has anyone connected an exhaust sytem to one of the manifolds? If
so, how did you do it?

9. I need to buy 4 new tires, what is the biggest size that will fit on
the stock steel rims? I have a mix of different sizes on the current rims. I
guess I am going to break down and go with radials as I just want to get the
dang thing on the road and drive it.

10. What gauge wire is used for most of the harness? I may need to buy
some patches.

11. And my final request.....Is there somebody, with a functional Series
III, who would be willing to be available for phone questions this coming
weekend? I really want to get the car on the road in time for British Car
Week and I am an idiot when it comes to electrical stuff.

On a different note........

When I went to Sears this weekend to get a battery and tires, The guy told
me that I was the second Sunbeam owner that had come in this week. I wonder
who the heck the other person is? I have never seen them.

I also got to visit Smitty's Sunbeam this past week with Bob "Herbeam"
Willis. Wow! It is like no place on Earth. It is like the secret Sunbeam
burial grounds or something.

Thanks in advance,
Kurt Eckert

Kurt Eckert