re terminology

From: Andy Whiteford (A.G.Whiteford(at)gcal.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 28 1999 - 06:10:03 CDT

>From: rnanzig(at)webtv.net (robert nanzig)
>
>Can someone tell me what a frame off restoration is? I've seen several
>references to it regarding Alpines which leaves me baffled since the
>cars are unitbody constructed and I assumed not built on a frame to take
>off.

I'm sure it's more of a term used to imply
a "complete and full restoration" of an older car,
perhaps used to fool/impress the less-knowledgable buyer.?

It is, as you say, totally misleading on the series (59-68) Alpines.
Series 1-5 Alpines were based on the smaller of the
two Rootes group small car 'Audax' monocoque
assemblies, as also used in the Husky.

the larger assembly was used for the rapier, singers, hillmans, etc

(I would find it interesting to compare
Husky and Alpine panel part-numbers.
I'm willing to bet that half the panels are identical,
from the chassis-legs up to those inner wheelarches,
front and rear, and some of the bulkhead parts)

think the earlier Sunbeam Talbot 80, 90 and Alpine had a separate chassis,
maybe Bob could confirm..

Then I see yesterday that someone has merged a Toyota Celica with
>an Alpine body. Where would the Toyota stop and the Alpine begin?
>
>Rob Nanzig
>67SV

Canny understand why anyone would go to the bother of fitting Alpine outer
panels to a Toyota monocoque.
or were Toyota using a separate chassis in 1982 ?

Maybe it's an Alpine body with
Toyota engine, box, and front suspension subframe ?

and do those "15 inch wheels" tuck under the Alpines wings ok??

Neither Fish nor Fowl, this one, methinks.