rear axles-series 5

From: robert nanzig (rnanzig(at)webtv.net)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 23:47:28 CST

    I"ve been in the process of replacing my differential and now that
it is installed I am having some difficulty getting the axles back in. I
replaced the o-ring around the outside of the wheel bearings and as I
press the axles back into the diff the o-ring gets hung up on the axle
flange. I put some gear oil on it to help it slip in but to no avail.
The manual says to drive the axle until the bearing is fully home in
it's recess.I would like to know with how much gusto I should drive it .
I fear ruining the o-ring, the bearing and possibly the axle splines If
I start beating on it. Any suggestions?

Rob Nanzig
67SV Hoping for a test drive tomorrow in
this unseasonably warm weather! New brakes, diff, hubs
and wheels !!!