Sunbeam Books

From: Steve Semeraro (ssemeraro(at)tjsl.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 12:04:27 CST

Wow. In less than 24 hours, I received multiple requests for every single
book listed in my post yesterday. (In some cases, people informed me that I
wasn't asking nearly enough for these books and some actually offered to pay
more than I asked. I appreciate those efforts to help me out.) Since I
received so many offers within minutes of each other, (and since I'm only
selling this stuff because I've recently moved across country and need the
money -- these are my only copies), I've thought hard about the fairest way
to handle this. I want to give the listers -- who have been so helpful to
me over the years -- first crack at these books rather than post them on
e-bay. On the other hand, it is clear that I had no idea what the current
value of some of these books is. It seems unfair both to give someone a
windfall because their request hit my e-mail 30 seconds before someone
else's, and to me to sell these books at grossly below market value. I
think that a fair resolution is to hold an auction limited to folks on the
list. If you'd like any of the books, please e-mail me your bid. If two or
more people are reasonably close, I'll e-mail them with the top bid to give
them a second crack. I hope that this isn't some gross breach of commercial
ethics. I'm not a businessman. It just seems to me like a reasonably fair
way to handle the situation.

Steve Semeraro