On plates and bumpers

From: Jay Laifman (Jay_Laifman(at)countrywide.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 13:06:18 CST

Any opinions on where to put the rear license plate and whether or not to
put the upright bumpers on?

I've been looking at all sorts of pictures trying to decide. Right now, I
sort of feel like the rear plate looks like it "belongs" on the trunk
instead of below the bumper. And, a long narrow English plate looks much
better yet. With a plate below the bumper though, it seems the shape of
the trunk is not interrupted. On the other hand, the plate on the trunk
seems to tie in to the fins better.

As to the bumpers, the earlier chrome ones have a neat shape, much like
other classic cars. But, they don't seem to work on the Alpine like they
work on the Aston Martin. The later ones with the rubber parts seem to
match the shape of the car much better, especially the rear with the fins.
I know that the original prototype model from the designer had no upright
bumpers. And I've seen plenty of cars that way. But, something doesn't
seem quite right - just too much chrome or something.

Any thoughts? Remember these are all my opinions - and I'm torn which way
to go. I'm not looking for "make it original" thoughts, but more aesthetic
thoughts - even though beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I should
simply decide for myself!

Jay