Re: Need vintage licence plates, help?

From: DonBaby58(at)aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 10:19:06 CST

In a message dated 11/23/99 1:53:34 AM, sylvestri(at)hotmail.com writes:

>Hi, me again.
>My friend picked up his 1954 Alpine last weekend and it is beautiful!
>needs
>a little work done on it before it is drivable, but it is very minor.
>I am
>wondering, does anyone know of where he can get some reasonable vintage
>
>licence plates for California? (is there such a thing as reasonable when
>it
>comes to vintage? there must be...please,please?) I understand that nowadays
>
>alot of the numbers are being assigned to motor cycles, so there would
>be
>some sleuthing involved in determining if the plates were viable, but that
>
>would be no big thang. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
>thanks a bunch,
>Carole

As far as CA goes, vintage plates are available and legal only to use for
pre-1963 cars before CA changed to black plates. Plates usually can be
bought at auto swap meets (Pomona, which occurs once a month is the best).
Most people who specialize in selling vintage plates will provide documentatio
n that the plates have been cleared through DMV and are ready for use.

Don
Series V