Help: Cable Lengths

From: Jay Laifman (Jay_Laifman(at)countrywide.com)
Date: Fri Nov 26 1999 - 14:37:14 CST

My SV emergency cable seems a bit too long.

A number of years ago, I swapped out my later SV rear end with steel wheels
for an earlier SV with wire wheels. I had both rear ends and wanted wire
wheels. Rather than pull the hubs, I just swapped the rear ends. My
original one was whining a little anyway.

Both seemed to have the same emergency brake cable set up, with the cable
housing ending at the center of the rear end and the cable running all the
way to the right side wheel. However, my cable has always seemed about an
inch too long. Even with the adjusting nut fully tightened, the cable
still has a bit of slack. I know the earlier rear ends have different set
ups all together.

Has anyone had this problem? Did the later SV have a slightly longer
cable? Could there be anything else different between them, like the place
the bracket is mounted on the rear of the differential housing? If that
was over to the right, that would result in the same length problem. Or,
maybe the spot on the emergency brake handle where the cable eye-loop
actually attaches is a bit farther forward on the handle. That would do it
too.

Thanks.

Jay