Re: Front End Height

From: Ian Spencer (ian(at)sunbeamalpine.org)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 15:25:56 CST

Okay,...now that I've opened a can of worms!!! Here's the final measurements
I've acheived from lowering this Series 3 front end.
24.5" from ground to fender lip bottom edge.
2.5" between tire and fender lip bottom edge.
I didn't think to measure before I started doing this, but I'd say I gained 2"
as a result. It has a very nice stance and the gap between the front and rear
tires and the fender lip is the same, 2.5". The measurement from the floor to
the front and rear fender lips are also the same, 24.5". It is now aproxamately
.5" lower than my Harrington 'A' with stock Alpine Series II springs, which
would be Rootes part # 1201465 acording to Scott Christie. This is the early
Series II spring number. Acording to David Kellogg, the spring rate should be
increased by removing the top of the spring. I would have to say that this is
true. It does appear to have a noticeable increase in stiffness, but not a
whole lot. It should still ride very nice. Dave says that the Rule of thumb for
cutting springs is that one full turn of a coil equals about 10% of the total
spring rate in pounds. Thanks everyone for the input on this topic. I'll let
you know how it rides after I finish off his interior. Overall, this should be
a very nice Series 3 GT. Jason had started the restoration from a 90% rust free
body that I had purchased from Eric Gibeaut many years ago. Jason had a buddy
paint the car for him and for the most part, it turned out all right. I think
the painter got a bit in a hurry towards the end and overlooked a couple little
dings. I just went to pick up the bonnet and boot lid and I'm not happy with
the work on them at all. So, I think I will strip them and have them redone by
someone who knows what they're doing. (Jan are you reading this? Cause I've got
a little job for you.). I rebuilt and installed a 1725cc engine for it this
summer and it runs great! One Rick's stainless exhausts really makes it sound
good too. All that's left is the interior, which I've started on and need to
get completed sometime soon. Jason lives in Naples Florida, so if any of you
southern guys see him driving his black RHD Series 3, be nice to him. He's a
good guy. He's also looking for a Hard Top to finish off the project.

--
Ian Spencer <www.sunbeamalpine.org>
'61 Harrington Alpine B9104782 OD HRO