Re: Cutting Springs

From: Jay Laifman (Jay_Laifman(at)countrywide.com)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 15:12:13 CST

Scott writes:
>Can you suggest how to go about cutting down the front springs? My SV
>front end also sits unnaturally high (to my eye) with more than a fist
width
>between the fender and top of the tire (185 x 60 x 14). I assume that the
>suggestion to cut the spring down a half inch refers to reducing it's
stacked
>height by .5" which would translate to several inches along the length of
the
>coil. Am I wrong?

The way it was suggested to me, the .5" is stacked height as you've said.
He suggested you need a "cut-off" saw with a grind stone to get through it.
Of course the last few turns flatten out. So, you'd lose that. I don't
know if the 1/2" would include that portion too - since that portion
probably has less spring to it. Also, you'd go from the spring ending in a
nice flat surface that spreads the load, to a point pressing into the
rubber. I guess you'd cut it horizontally to reduce that effect - but it
won't be anything like the stock flat part.

I'm only guessing on all this, as I've never done it. Anyone who really
knows?

Jay