Re: Wooden dash update

From: jumpin'jan (servaij(at)cris.com)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 21:31:45 CST

Chris,
        Good deal on the veneer job. However, I would like to just mention to
everyone to use a sprayed-on, automotive clear coat paint instead of the
hardware store's polyurethane varnish. The comparison, of using the auto
clear coat, is night vs. day. If one doesn't have the facilities to
spray paint, your favorite auto body repair shop can do this for you.
Those transfers are made from a type of wax and that maybe the source of
the problems that you mentioned. I have cleared many of those transfers
on helmets that I have painted, and I have never had any problems with
the fish-eyes. Also, these auto finishes can dry quickly to sand out in
about 3-4 hours. Furthermore, the auto clear coat has what is called
"high solids", so that one can really lay down a thicker coat of paint
in one session and it is catalyzed to harden without evaporation, so
that one can keep applying another coat within 3-4 hours. It's great
stuff.
Jan