RE: electric fan

From: Patrick Wheeler (pwheeler(at)ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 22:07:24 CST

I recently had the opportunity to have more experience than I would have
cared to with my electric fan. I was running the stock four bladed SV fan
that does not push very much air. Due to cooling problems I had ordered an
electric fan and installed it in front of the radiator (almost all
aftermarket fans are reversible so as to be pusher or puller as needed).
Worked great in heavy traffic when the four blade was not enough, flip the
switch and the extra boost in air flow would bring the temp almost right
back to the center of the gauge. I wanted it cooler, but it worked pretty
good and I had already had a the three core radiator business done so I
figured I had to live with it.

There is a reason everyone says replace your olde four bladed fan. Mine
broke a blade and punched a nice hole in my newly painted hood. Pulled
broken fan out, replaced shredded return radiator line and tried to fit hood
back down and was left with just the electric fan.

Have been driving like this for almost a month (+-?). In almost all
conditions, if the car can move consistently at over 30 mph no fan is needed
at all (ambient air in 60 - 75 degrees F). If I get stuck in traffic I have
to flip the switch, driving on city streets with stoplights, flip the
switch. I have a thermostat that can bring it on automatically, but have
not gotten around to installing it yet. It works almost _exactly_ the same
as when I had the fan, I guess the four bladed fan (in addition to being a
hazard) is about worthless!

I have not felt any Horsepower increases (or decreases Jarrid :-). It is
still peppy and when I turn the fan on it does not feel any less or more
peppy. Maybe an expert driver could tell the difference, I cannot. If you
are racing and want every extra little erg you can get, certainly, install
the electric fan, once you get up to speed, kill it and let the natural air
flow keep you cool.

I still intend to install a fan, maybe I am just a traditionalist, but need
to order a spacer and have not gotten around to it.

My recommendations: Install in on the front of the radiator as a pusher, it
is almost invisible and a relatively simple install (at least on a late SV),
and it you have any four bladed fans, throw them out!(at)(at)#^%*

-Patrick
SV, Richmond, CA