Re: Shifting mechanism

From: Armand & Lorie Ritchie (ritchie(at)mcn.org)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 09:32:48 CST

I just wanted to comment on this shifting mechanism. I recently saw an add
online for a 55 alpine and the add states that it has an alfa romeo gear
box. I searched around and found the add again. Maybe someone can call
the guy and see what kind of a swap it was and what year alfa box they
used. The add is below.

1955 SUNBEAM ALPINE MARK 3
BURGUNDY w/ RED int. 4 CYLINDER 5 SPD. Older restoration, original except
for Alfa Romeo gearbox, (much more drivable than
   (Sunbeam) can re-install original box. Only 3000 Mark 3 made. $12,000
(RICK 905-684-3651 ST CATHARINES, ON)

>Hello Irv, I think we have talked before but I can't remember when or what
>about, anyway, I have recently purchased a '53 Sunbeam Talbot Drophead, and
>a friend of mine that lives near by(45 min.) has a '55 Alpine, and of coarse
>both originally came with column shift, he is going to switch from the
>column shift to the floor, my car came to me with a floor shift already
>installed, I was told it was the rare " Castle" floor shifter but with
>further assistance from other owners I now believe it is a U.S.A. copy of
>the Castle. You can use what I call a "cane" shifter (because of appearance)
>and top cover from a series Hillman Husky or Minx as Bob Hamilton did or go
>with the series Alpine transmission with overdrive as Peter Woodall did, I
>am SURE there are a lot of other ways that I am not aware of, yet. I am
>removing mine because it's not working properly and going the same way as
>you, the series Alpine transmission remote because it is a lot simpler,and I
>already have the parts, I noticed that some one indicated they had an extra
>remote from a Ser.V, I don't think the mounting bolt holes are the same,
>we(mine) need a remote with 8 bolt holes(early Ser. Alpine), the Ser. V has
>six, I think! I have been told that all we need to do is rotate the
>transmission on the bellhousing, remove the old mounting plate and bolt on
>the remote. I have the floor pan out and a reconditioned remote ready to
>mount, I sit the remote on the transmission the other day just to see what
>it might look like, looked real nice, the shift lever ends up right about
>where my ashtray is. I hope this helps you some, if, by the time you
>receive this you are still looking for a remote let me know, I am sure I can
>find you one. If you would like E-mail me direct with your phone number and
>I will give you a call. Later, Russ

ritchie(at)mcn.org
Armand & Lorie Ritchie