Re: Have you ever replaced headlight actuator?

To: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>, <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Have you ever replaced headlight actuator?
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 18:31:10 -0500
No, the front seal is just that, a seal for the rod / front chamber.
The rod has a small flange where it attaches to the diaphragm. On
the other side of the diaphragm is small washer that the end of the
rod is peened to to hold it in place. The flange / washer assembly
is too small to properly hold the diaphragm. The outer perimeter of
the diaphragm is pinched in the fold over joint of the two canister
halves. Mine tore away from the diaphragm. I've cut open mine and
Vette canisters, that's why I know for sure. You can have a small
hole in the diaphragm and / or leakage around the rod mounting point
and they will still close, but if you can raise the door with both
vacuum ports sealed, then the diaphragm is leaking for some reason.
You may only need rod seals, but I just think you should check the
diaphragms before spending the time / money for seals.

GM