Converting from R-12 to R-34A - 74 Bricklin

To: "Bricklin International" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Converting from R-12 to R-34A - 74 Bricklin
From: "Greg Schroeder" <gschroeder@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 00:09:02 -0500
 I am in the process of trying doing this conversion. From my Bricklin Service
Manual it is interesting how to do this since this is not like any system that
I had every worked on (including older R-12 systems). My system was completely
empty and had been that was since I purchased the car.  I have installed the
low pressure fitting, leak detector/sealant, oil charge and R-134A.  I am
monitoring the pressure in the system and it is at 25 by the dial. There is a
range of 25-35 as the operating range.  I used this same technique/gauge for
my 1988 Toyota Supra and it has been working fine for three years.  I am
hearing some knocking almost like the clutch is engaging and releasing on my
Toyota it would indicate that the pressure was out of recommended range.  I
thought this was originally a bad bearing in the idler pulley and replaced it,
but I am still hearing the sound. So it is may be out of range or another
issue. The system does cool and when the RPM's are increased the sound will
disappear.  Has anyone done this and is there a recommended reading to resolve
this or could I have another problem?

Greg 0036