RE: Camshafts/timing gear wear test. More-1

Subject: RE: Camshafts/timing gear wear test. More-1
From: Shadow@RTD.COM (The Shadow Knows...)
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 23:29:46 -0700 (MST)
Simon:

(1) Optimally speaking, '0' degrees is what you would have
on a new engine.  Practically speaking, on a conventional
OHV engine w/crank driven, chain-to-cam connection, you
should not have over '2' degrees of wear to be within a
reasonable wear-to-age reading.  Meaning, on a 5-yr old
engine, less than '2' degrees if clean oil and proper
oil filtration was used.  On a 10 year old engine it may
go into the '10' degree range.  This depends upon the
physical design/type of the chain; whether the cam gear
is steel, aluminum or a nylon mold over a tooth pattern
as is the OEM GM gears.  The nylon cam gears are VERY
dependent upon a clean, abrasion free, oil supply.  And
the chain will erode the nylon in the presence of high
heat as encountered in a racing environment or normal
driving with dirty oil.  I think '5' degrees would be
telling me it's time to get a new setup if I was using
it for racing.  Grocery getters can get by with anything.

(2) Normally speaking, here in CONUS, we use Sealed
Power, truck, or roller chain with a matched steel
(two rows of teeth) gear.  Usually as a set.  GM uses
the nylon gear as it is a bit quiet-er.  If you want
o spend big bucks, then go for one of the Hi-Perf brands.
But, trust me, the HD, truck, roller chain-n-gear from
Sealed Power is very hard to beat.  But I speak from a
SBC/BBC podium.  Not sure about Rover/B-215.  Will have
to look it up and see what is offered by Sealed Power.

 Cheers,
  Mr. Shadow (Ret)