Greg/Micke/350 vs. 300 crank, etc.

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Greg/Micke/350 vs. 300 crank, etc.
From: dkern@napanet.net (David Kernberger)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:40:02 -0800
Micke,

        I don't know your e-mail address but you touched on a subject I
very much want to get an answer to.  Does it work well to align-bore a 3.5
block to the larger 2.5 inch main bearing size when adapting a 300
crankshaft???  Baker says to grind the crank journals down to 2.3 inches,
but I would be afraid of weakening the crankshaft that way.  It already has
considerably less journal overlap than a stock 2.8 stroke crank.  David
Hardcastle's book mentions some special cranks made for the 3.5 which have
2.5" journals but does not make any definite statements whether
align-boring is the way to go.  I have found out that 300 main bearing caps
will bolt right on to the 3.5 block, and they are definitely meatier.  It
should be no problem for a machine shop to face them off a bit and use them
for the align-bored block.  Maybe this would the best of both worlds????

        I would love to hear from anyone else on this matter also.

Cheers,  Dave Kernberger