Re: Greg/Micke/350 vs. 300 crank, etc.

To: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Greg/Micke/350 vs. 300 crank, etc.
From: Jan Ben <ben@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:30:01 -0500
David Kernberger wrote:

> Micke,

> align-boring is the way to go.  I have found out that 300 main bearing caps
> will bolt right on to the 3.5 block, and they are definitely meatier.  It
> should be no problem for a machine shop to face them off a bit and use them
> for the align-bored block.  Maybe this would the best of both worlds????
>
>         I would love to hear from anyone else on this matter also.
>
> Cheers,  Dave Kernberger

Dave, gents..

I can forsee 2 probs. w. align-boring:
1. not enough meat in the main saddles
2. I couldn't find a shop that can align-bore around gere (in NJ).
Auto machine shops have only align-honing bars (no good).  You'll need
to find a real shop w. a real boring bar setup that will take time to
set it up and do it.
Or you can go crazy like me and get a big lathe and a mill to try to diy
:).  But my first 2 motors are going together w. ground cranks, just
'cause I already have them.
rgds
Jan