RE: TR7 to V-8 Tach modification

To: "'The Becketts'" <hillman@bigpond.com>,
Subject: RE: TR7 to V-8 Tach modification
From: Perry Robinson <PROBINSO@flower-mound.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 16:43:30 -0600
Ron,

Thanks for responding.  I understand what you are saying.  Is it that most
"modern" tachometers use a different type of circuitry that measures the
pulses from (or to) the ignition coil, and then converts it to a signal
usable by the tach INSIDE the tach itself?  How is it that you can convert a
280 Z tach (a 6 cylinder) to work with a v-8, by simply adding a resistor?
And how is it that one can purchase a cheap parts house tach, that can be
used on a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder by simply the movement of a switch on the
tach?

Inquiring minds want to know!

I could just use a "speed shop" tach, but I'd rather keep mine in the dash.

I have also had more than one shop offer to send my TR7 tach out to be
"modified" to work with the 8, for about $75.00

Let me Know!  :)

Perry