Re: Primed oil system but should this happen?

To: "buick-roverv8@autox.team.net" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Primed oil system but should this happen?
From: "Pete Bronlund" <peteb@clear.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 09:17:16 +1200
Thanks, folks for the truly helpful info! This is what i love about the www.

Anyway, i (sensibly) put a mechanical type pressure guage in the system (fun
finding adaptor couplings!!) & after about 30sec of spinning with my 240Vac
500W 1/2" drill we're up to 40psi & stabilised. Any longer & the reading
slowly creaps up above the 40psi but by now the oil is fair pouring out of
the rocker shafts, the drill working REALLY hard & heavially loaded. I guess
that the increase effect is due the engine not turning & certain 'parts' are
still shut etc.  We've probably hit the bypass valve activation too. There's
certainly a load on the drill & it's taught me just how much power it takes
to run the pump. I don't think i need to use the drill  longer to see what
the slow increase effect above 40psi is, especially since the drill will
probably burn out.

As for the notchy effect, if i turn the pump by hand (prior to making
pressure using the drill) it's pretty smoothe with the slightest
feel of each of the pump gearteeth stepping through their mesh. I think
things are ok.

Can't wait for startup... & thanks again for all the support folks.

Pete.