Re: the 4.6 block

To: "buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: the 4.6 block
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 08:18:03 -0400
jon wrote:

> My car is a TVR, so I have different size constraints. Presently,
> there's frame directly in front of the engine, and the upper frame tubes
> converge at the rear, so my engine is pretty much where it has to be. A
> tired 215 Olds propels my 2400 roadster nicely, ~280 cubic inches is
> getting pretty interesting.
> Is shortening the front of the crank to make it look like a 215
> possible?
> Is the engine internally balanced?
> Is the flywheel bolt up like the 215, so I can use my McLeod?

All engines are balanced at the Factory and we are talking a new block
here with installed crank etc. "Balancing and blue-printing" are useless
unless you are a racer and even then...

There is no crankshaft doing to do. The crankshaft pulley spacer
(approximately 7/8 inch brings the pulley out to realign it with the
water pump and alternator. There is no space issue for you and I have
worked with your car. A TVR engine bay is huge compared with I have to
deal with. grin)

Lorne
1984 Morgan Plus 8 EFI