Rover V8 Bearing Shells

To: "TR8 Mail List Members" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>,
Subject: Rover V8 Bearing Shells
From: "Chris & Kelly Sharp" <4sharps@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:52:33 -0800
Hey Rover V-8 Fans!

Got the pan off and pulled the main caps.  The crank journals look perfect,
although I can't measure it for wear.  No scratches, gouges, etc. are
apparent.  The bearing shells, though, are shot.  Almost no silver left,
only the brass colored material.  I haven't checked the rod bearings yet,
but suspect they will be the same.

I really don't want to pull the crank out of the block for fear of
shipwrights disease ( ...if I gotta pull the engine, I might as well replace
the pistons and rings....  might as well do a valve job and maybe up the
compression a little....  a new cam would be nice....  roller rockers.... )
and this time of year isn't the best for flirting with that kind of danger!

I suspect the engine has the original bearings, but don't know for sure.
The part number on the thrust bearing shell is 610855 (other side has a
stylized "VP" and 5054), the others are 610865 (similarly, also a stylized
"VP" and 5052).  Any idea if these are original or undersized?  Also, what
is the likely hood that I could get away with just slipping new bearing
shells into the bottom end?

TIA for any/all comments

Chris Sharp
'64 Spitfire4