RE: [Wedge] Rover V8 Bearing Shells

To: "'TR8 Mail List Members'" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>,
Subject: RE: [Wedge] Rover V8 Bearing Shells
From: "Susan and Jack Brooks" <tr3a@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 21:58:06 -0800
> Also, what is the
> likely hood that I could get away with just slipping new
> bearing shells into the bottom end?

That is standard fare for the TR3 and I suspect it'll be fine in the V8, but
I'm not certain.

BTW - when I got my TR3, she had a very mild knock and low oil pressure.
New conrod, main and thrust bearings handled the knock for a few years until
I was ready to rebuilt the engine.  Nice rebound in oil pressure with the
new bearings too.  Without firm knowledge or experience with the TR8's
engine, I'd suspect that just a bearing swap would be a decent stopgap
measure.

Unless the bearings you removed had a size indication (like 0.010) on them,
they are most likely original standard sized bearings.

Jack
1960 TR3
1980 TR8, probably with a similar bottom end.