How one Roadster takes on six SUVs

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: How one Roadster takes on six SUVs
From: Teddy Seidenfeld <teddy@stat.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:54:02 -0400
Fellow Roadsters,

I recall that about a month ago there was a thread here about the general
abuse that SUVs are creating on the road, especially for Roadsters and
other 2-person-sized vehicles.  Perhaps the following brief anecdote will
give guidance how to begin to balance the scales.

I work at Carnegie Mellon U. and park my '69 2000 in a 3 story garage that
is integral to our athletic stadium.  Two of the three stories of the
garage are inside, under/against the stadium seating, with the third level
open, roof level parking.  The indoor garage area is exposed concrete,
typical for such proletarian edifices.  That's where the story takes place.

Apparently we don't charge enough tuition, or else we are too generous with
our (non-faculty!) salaries, as there are some half-dozen new SUVs
regularly parked inside.  These new SUVs have a security device that is
sensitive to vibration, I'm guessing.  My 2000 exhaust produces exactly the
right frequency!  As I drive by, one after the next, the SUVs pay homage to
my Roadster with a full chorus of horns and sirens!

On days when I'm particularly lucky, I find a vacant spot next to one of
these new beasts.  The added proximity (and for good measure, a quick rev
to 3500 rpm) gets the neighboring SUV into a higher level of security panic
with added lights and more frantic noises.

The symphony last 15 seconds after I turn off the engine.  Pure joy!

Teddy
SRL311 08018
Pgh. PA