Re: Body Question

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Body Question
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 01:43:58 -0800
No, actually,
        the rear lower fender stops a little bit forward of the door post, and
the outer rocker is a separate stamping.  Originally, there was a (very
tight) seam at the join.  It's almost impossible to duplicate without
the original panels or some serious effort, and it traps rust, so most
people (me included) eliminate it when they fix the rust.
        The seam between the lower and upper rear fender (quarter) panels can
be covered- but you need to do more than just bondo it over.  The panels
are spotwelded together, which means
        1: water can get in from behind and cause rust, bubbling, and the bondo
to pop out and
        B: the seam will flex ever so sloghtly, causing the bondo to pop out!
        So you need to weld the seam up and seal the inside, lead it up, being
careful not to trap flux (or it'll rust, causing the same problems as
1:) or at least use something like "all metal" or fiberglass to try to
bond and seal it up more structurally!
This, I know about!
Toby

 Since it is down to bare