Re: electronic ignition

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: electronic ignition
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 01:57:18 -0800
The XR700
        like a pertronix thingus, replaces your points, nothing more.  Unlike
the pertronix, it uses an optical sensor and a chopper wheel to trigger
a spark.  Some people like that, others dislike it.  Biggest diff, tho,
is that it has a separate electronics box outside of the distributor.  A
bit thicker than a pack of cigarettes, this box does the actual
switching of the power to the coil, and likes to stay cool and free of
engine vibration.  So you have to find a place to mount it on the body,
away fom the exhaust, which can be a challenge...
Toby