SU Question

To: <Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us>, <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Subject: SU Question
From: jwilliams@kidpower.com
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 20:36:11 -0600
All,

My previously EPA equipped '68 1600 was burning rich (carbon build-up
on the #1 and #2 plugs), so I decided to fiddle with the carbs today. I
just got the car the last week and am having fun tinkering with it.

While adjusting the carbs, I noticed that a PO has clipped the "fuel
overflow returns" (I think that that's the correct term) from both
carbs (SU's). The tubing from the front carb has been pinched off so no
fuel can escape, but there is nothing to prevent fuel from leaking out
of the rear carb, which it does. I am amazed by the amount of fuel that
flows out of the rear carb when revving, even when completely leaned. I
don't know whether to try to rebuild the EPA system and run a hose from
the carbs back to the fuel tank, or to just seal off the return from
the rear carb just as it has been done to the front carb. I have the
following questions specifically.

1) Has anybody faced a similar situation? What did you do?

2) Could the return from the front carb being sealed off be what is
causing the carbon build up on #1 and #2 plugs?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jay Williams
'68 1600
Nashville, TN
SEROC (so far just me, Phil Hall, and Ben Zech I think)