Re: Welding-Fiberglass/carbon fiber questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding-Fiberglass/carbon fiber questions
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 19:03:31 -0700
There are some good books out there, but nothing can substitute for taking a
class.
Check out your local community colleges or trade schools. I took an arc welding
class
at one a while back and it was great! You can learn only so much from reading,
then
you need someone there to say "Do it this way."

Books can get you started. Try "Welder's Handbook" by Richard Finch. It's
published by
HP Books and you can probably find it at your local auto parts store (save the
shipping costs from Amazon).

Probably the most versatile and easy to use welder is a wire-feed (MIG) welder.
They're more expensive than an arc welder but they are more versatile and make
less
mess. Unless you get a good one, you won't be welding any frames, though.

But be careful. Once you start messing with welding, you might get hooked. I
got into
it because a friend sold me an arc welder for a great price. Then in the class,
we
played around with MIG and oxy-acetylene a little bit, too. Now I've got a
small oxy
rig (great for cutting out parts) and am eyeing a MIG unit.

Check out this link: http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal/welding.html

--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org