Re: Welding-Fiberglass/carbon fiber questions

To: dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding-Fiberglass/carbon fiber questions
From: DemonTSi@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:17:02 EDT
In a message dated 04/06/2000 3:08:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu writes:

>   I believe that some of you have much experience in the following.
>   I want to learn how to weld.  Can you guys recomend what books to buy?
>  Amazon.com has 8 million and its a little bit overwhelming. Also what type
> of
>  welder should I look into??  I will be welding sheet metal-car floorpans
and
>  fenders and such.. and mild steel tubing..Any advice woudl be greatly
> appreciated.

I think one of the best commercially-available books on welding is that one
they carry in the home depot (there's only one book I've seen all home depots
carry). You can find it in their tool crib next to the welding equipment.
While you're there, scope out the lincoln weld-pak 100. It's a good starter
unit and is pretty well-priced. Without gas, you'll be relegated to using
flux-core, but it's also good to start learning with that. I use that exact
same setup at home, and can now lay some pretty decent beads:
http://members.xoom.com/BADROC/goodbead1.JPG
http://members.xoom.com/BADROC/goodbead2.JPG
Yup, believe it or not, that's with flux-core. (Bonus points to anyone who
can figure out what part of the frame that is I welded up!)
You'll also want to use a MIG welder when doing sheet metal. Arc welding
ain't gonna hack it on thin gauge metal, and TIG is just way too much $$.
Now once you've gotten the hang of the gasless, flux-core welding... you'll
be ready to shell out the 150-200 bucks for a complete gas add-on kit, and
you can then spend a few days getting acclimated to welding with gas. Man,
gas is THE way to go! But it comes out soooo smooth, that it's somewhat
deceiving; you'll think that you've laid down a good bead, but it may be too
cold, etc...

>   I want to learn how to 'lay-up' fiberglass/carbon fiber cloth.  I want
>  to start off by making a cold air induction box for my solex's.  Irene
wants

>  me to make fins out of carbon fiber.....
>   Can anyone reccomend books-sources-web address where I can find the
>  info????  I am also looking at building 'structural' pieces out of carbon
> fiber.

I've never really found (well, I've never really looked for one either) a
good book on 'glass layup, but your best bet would be a book on model plane
or boat building. Your local TAPS Plastic should carry at least 4 'glass
books at any one time!
Now about that cf induction box... I know Todd O. was talking about makign
one too, and I sketched out some designs I had in mind that I wanted to share
with you guys... let me dig them up or make some more, and I'll send them out.

Van - gonna update BADROC page sooner or later, dangit!
- http://members.xoom.com/BADROC