Re: Roadster storage/shelter

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, laurahoey@myself.com
Subject: Re: Roadster storage/shelter
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 00 10:08:33 CDT
>I'm giving some thought to purchasing one of those portable  gavanized frame
>shelters
>for my roadster and I'd appreciate your thought on some of the downside risks.

Is the shelter placed over dirt, or a concrete slab?

Biggest problem is moisture. You need for it to be
well ventalated to prevent condensation and the collection
of moisture in the body, ect.

Actually leaving both ENDS open on a frame shelter will
protect the car from the sun & rain, and keep it from
rusting. Yes, it will get dirty and dusty... but those
are better than leaving it open to the elements.

MICE & critters. Amazing how much damage they can do, and
especially in a roadster. Leaving the tonneau cover in
place, and a OPEN jar of moth balls in the car will help
prevent some damage. If the car is on a slab, you can
also leave jackstands under the frame (let the tires
hang down -- off the ground). Mice can still get up the
jackstands (I don't know how), but atleast is makes it
a little more difficult.  Vacuuming out all those
old McDonalds French Fries under the seat will help.

I built a 10' x 18' shed on a slab in the back yard. Full
vents under the eaves and ridge vent, so it does allow
for air to circulate. Only issue is the front rotors will
rust on them. I just leave the rotors as is, and after
the first few spins around the block the brake pads
will remove the rust. Do NOT set the rear brake, but
leave it off.

Of course it is interesting to see how many "mud dabbers"
nest I find in the car. Odd, they loved the Jeep and usually
avoided the Datsun. Still I'll find all sort of those wasp
nest under the car... a few speed bumps, and most fall off.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX