Re: RTV vs Hylomar

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RTV vs Hylomar
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:34:17 EDT
In a message dated 4/18/00 1:59:29 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
FastrTime@t-three.com writes:

> Hylomar is also impervious to oil, and works quite well to cure difficult
>  leaks - like U20 valve cover gaskets. I use Hylomar on most of the gaskets
>  on my Roadster and highly recommend it. Also, if you're building a rotary
>  engine, Hylomar is the only thing I've heard of that will reliably seal
side
>  housing O-rings (the rotary equivalent of a head gasket)

Hylomar is great for stuff that orig. did not have gaskets as well. Many
mnfgs recommend this for such things as rocker assy/to heads. The down side
to it, is that it is rather thin (not that you should be gobbing on the RTV,
either) and may not fill up pitted areas as well as the RTV. Also, if there
is warpage on either surface, RTV may be a better choice.  In all, hylomar a
darn-good all around sealant. (And yup, it is the one thing that will seal up
a rotary, for those of us actaully silly enough to attempt it on a regular
basis. Gotta keep them corner seals in *somehow*!)

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
69 SRL311
Chandler, AZ