Re: HORNS............Don't Blow!!!!!!!!!!!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, motormite@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: HORNS............Don't Blow!!!!!!!!!!!
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 00 18:13:23 CDT
Ben,

On the horns, time to do a little trouble shooting.

Take a "jumper wire" from the battery "+" side and
connect it directly to the terminal on the horn.
Should be nice and loud!

Find the horn relay (you heard it clicking, so you should
be able to feel which one it is... it has three wires
connected to it). Find which wire is the power lead.

Check with a volt meter... the horn relay has ONE POWER
LEAD, one lead to the horns, the other to the horn button.
You'll find power on TWO of the connections, one being the
hot lead the other being to the horn button. Press down on
the horn button and check again... remaining wire with
power is the hot lead.

Now take that jumper wire and connect it to the place
where the "normally hot" wire is on the horn relay.
Now try the horn... if they sound, then the relay is
fine... problem is in the wiring.

Common problem is just a dirty fuse block. I'll remove
the fuses, clean up the contacts with fine emery paper,
and squeeze the contacts a little tighter.

If all else fails, stick your head out the window and
YELL! ;-)

Cheers,

Tom "lack of sleep is making me a little too slap happy" Walter
Austin, TX