Re: Overheating...

To: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Overheating...
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:00:35 PST8PDT
David wrote, in regards to the radiator cap:
> As I recall, you said it should be 15 lbs.  NAPA looked it up in "the
> book", and said it should be 7... The cap which had been in use for
> at least the last 18 years, appears to have 14# on the top.

And you haven't blown the heater core yet? Guess you've been
living right :-). NAPA is right, it should be a 7 lb cap on a '68.
If you're running hot and blowing coolant, there's something else
wrong. You may want to try a 30% antifreeze ratio; that'll help if
you're 'on the edge' (heat transfer is more efficient with more water
in the mix, and 30% still provides corrosion protection), but I don't
think that'll buy you enough cooling to help in your case.

> They also cut me a piece of heater hose after I gave them a sample
> which I had removed.  Wrong again, turns out, what they cut was 5/8ths,
> rather than what appears to be 1/2".

You're both right - and both wrong :-). That's a special hose, it's
1/2" on one end and 5/8 on the other!

> ...so I decided, "Why not run a hose from the head connection, bypassing
> the intake manifold...

On the islands you're probably OK. This will affect driveability in
Minnesota in January :-)

Did that pinhole leak appear before or after you ran the flush?

-- John