Re: Overheating...

To: "John F. Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>,
Subject: Re: Overheating...
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:31:25 -1000
John:  Think you and Dana Nojima both got it.  Thanks!!

John F Sandhoff wrote:

> Another thought for you.. I think you may be on the right track
> when you comment:
>
> > I'm suspecting that I may need a new or recored radiator.  Several years
> > ago when I had that "T" at the top of the radiator re-silversoldered, the
>guy
> > at the radiator shop remarked about the deterioration of the fins on the
>front
> > surface; said it could affect my cooling.
>
> If we take the optimistic side and assume nothing has broken or gone
> out of whack lately, it could be that you've lost enough bonding between
> the actual cores (the thin rectangular tubes) and the fins that the
> radiator is now not dissipating the heat. The fins are what actually get
> rid of the heat; they multiply the area of those tubes significantly. Now
> that you restated this comment (it was in your first posting too; I just
> didn't catch its implication), I recall discussion quite some time back on
> this list about another owner having a similar problem.
>
> So yes, it's possible the pinhole leak was just coincidental; and your
> radiator has just run out of useful life.

Yep, but I don't think it was coincidental. I think it was part of a "cascade".
didn't mention that I had (very) previously needed to replace the gasket of the
"fill" cap, because coolant was beginning to leak from that location.  I didn't
think it was germane because the gasket was old and cracks were appearing around
the edges.  After that was sealed, then the corroded "heat shield" pipe was the
next to fail.  After that was "bypassed", then the cooling system could build
pressure up to the point of "lifting" whatever pressure cap, I happened to have
in
place.

I did drain about 3 qts of coolant and replaced with water, and it did run a bit
cooler, validating that premise, but still too hot.

Thanks again.  And to you also, Tom!

Dave

'68 1600 (soon to be COOL, again)
Kailua-Kona