Re: (OT) Permanent wedding ring-or changing batteries

To: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Subject: Re: (OT) Permanent wedding ring-or changing batteries
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:48:30 -0600
> The problem with hooking up the positive side of the battery first is that
>you'll get an
> arc when you hook up the ground - can be death to alternator diodes. Better
>bet is to

Gary, I don't see how hooking up the two connections in any particular order
can cause alternator diodes to be damaged.  You need both connections in order
to have current flow, so I don't see why this is true.  I taught electronics
for many years and this result seems counter to all that I know about DC
theory.  Please explain or give us a reference to further data.

Thanks,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885