Re: Rust question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, "Mark Haverly"
Subject: Re: Rust question
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:20:47 -0800
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the list!

>From what I've seen and read, what you mention are some of the usual spots.

Main one is where the front fenders are attached just ahead of the doors.
Dirt can collect inside the fender-well in the back lower corner. The
drainage in the cowl-area just ahead of the windshield dumps directly into
those corners. The dirt stays moist for a long time and eats away at the
metal. Try to keep those corners clean and dry. Where the fenders bolt near
the hinges there is a horse-hair type pad that can trap water, you'll also
see rust there.

Trunk side areas are another. They can trap a lot of water, and usually
rust through. Rear seam in the trunk floor gets some rust.

Yup, under the battery tray.

I've also seen rust at the leading edge of the hood.

Also the firewall around pass-through holes to engine compartment.

And where the body bolts to the frame, again the horse-hair pads may trap
water and rust the frame, mostly the front ones under the firewall.

Fred - So.SF
BADROC
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1420039&a=10625923