RE: Rust question

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rust question
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:58:44 -0800
>From Tom Walter's Buyer's Guide on Greg Valazza's datsun.org site:

http://www.datsun.org/roadster/info/buyers_guide.html
"Common rust areas include:

The bottom rocker panels (especially between the doors and rear wheel
wells).
The trailing edge of the front fenders is known for holding in dirt, leading
to rust.
The cold air intake, just below the windshield, has been known to rust on
cars driven in salted roads.
The trunk area, including the inside rear fender wells.
Above the rear fender wheel well is two panels that seem to trap dirt as
they meet. Usually the first sign of rust is for the paint to start to
blister as the rust eats from the inside out.
The floor mats should be lifted to check the condition of the floor panels.
Ditto the trunk floot mat."

I would add a comment to that:

Check the trunk floor carefully for cracks. The sheet metal is rather thin
and the gas tank is suspended from the underside. The weight of the tank and
the bounciness of the suspension can cause the tank mounting rails to pull
away from the trunk floor. One of the clues is if the car constantly eats
the rubber grommet that goes around the gas filler pipe where it passes
through the rear panel of the trunk.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA