Re: Radiator rebuild

To: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Subject: Re: Radiator rebuild
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:52:59 -0800
This issue was discussed at some length here on the list a while back. There
are complex
thermal issues involved - the transfer of heat from the radiator to the ambient
air is
affected by the amount of total surface area (how many rows), the surface
finish (how
smooth or rough the surface is) which also affects surface area; the surface's
color
affects radiant heat transfer - it gets pretty complicated pretty quick, but
the bottom
line is that there is plenty of margin built in to radiator design, and unless
you clog
the cores with paint, a little paint on the thing is not going to affect you
too much one
way or another. The difference in the radiant heat transfer rate from a painted
radiator
surface as opposed to an unpainted radiator surface (shiny new, or aged to a
nice dark
patina by atmospheric pollutants... ) is probably not all that much. If your
design is
that finely drawn it would be better to just chuck it in and go up one number
in row
count. All those surface finish effects are just background noise in a properly
sized
engine cooling system.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA