a few rambling notes

To: "'roadster.netlist'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: a few rambling notes
From: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:51:59 -0800
Hey folks, been off-line on a biz trip, so been catching up. (on the
Autobahn at 105 mph in a speed-limited rental car, we got dusted by at least
10 BMW's/Audi's going ~140+... yeee-hahh!)
A few notes:
Phil Hall, great looking door handles, and some great ideas all around.  (if
you remove the wing windows, won't the windshield start to get
loosey-goosey, over time?  Remember, I'm the one that had to tell his
bulbous buddy to not use the top of the windshield as a 'hooch into the
seat' handle)
Did anyone else see Fred Katz's modified 350Z sketch and suddenly realize
how much the new Z design is a knock-off of a Porsche 928? (I think its 928,
the one with the aluminum V8 in it) Someone should claim design royalties.
I'm getting ready to start my seat replacement project, starting with the
passenger side, and I really think that when I get to the drivers' side, I
may fab a 'tray' and drop the floor down 1-2".  This is gonna cause exhaust
improvisations, so I welcome any unusual set-ups (and/or limitations) anyone
has seen on roadster race set-ups or other cars. (first bizarre idea, what
if I follow the X-crossmembers and bring the exhaust over to the right side?
or maybe just thru the tunnel?)
Last item: in a brief, misdirected, 'closer to stock' moment, I bid on a
non-locking gas cap on e-bay and got it.  Well it turns out my filler neck
has receptacles for a cap whose pegs reach 1/2-5/8" deep, and this new one
has them 1/4-3/8" deep, so it is useless.  Contact me off-list if ya want
it.
Fergus O
69 2000 (not returning to stock with this one)