Rear axle off centre

To: Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear axle off centre
From: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:37:46 -0800 (PST)
After replacing my tire/wheel combo, I realized that
my rear axle is a little off center(re) (for the
Commonwealth listers).  Anyway, I'm rubbing when
bottoming out on the passenger side (195/60 X 14's).
The drivers side has about 1/2 inch more room.  Is it
any problem to drop the rear end and adjust it over
3/8 to 1/2 inch??  Never having done this, I thought
I'd ask first.

I also noticed the front tires are not equi-distant
from the fenders, but the sides are reversed.  This I
figure will adjust out with a caster/camber tow-in
adjustment, but I noticed it when I got to looking.

The Z wheels and new tires make it handle awsome(ly),
but I have some vibration at speed, maybe due to using
the Z wheels with my old 7/16 studs and new 7/16 lugs
with double (Z and 7/16) washers.  I felt odd about
doing this, and some of the vibration may be my
imagination, but I'm kinda driving on eggs until I am
sure everything is as it should be.  If It doesn't
satisfy me after some weekend tweaking, I may go to
the (12mm?) studs and the expensive Z lug nuts.
(comments??) BTW, would I need any special equipment
to change out the studs?

On the bright side, just finished replacing the old
cracked low windshield with one I bought off the list
almost a year ago.  2 days and counting, and no crack
in this one yet.  I'll not know how to act with a "one
piece" windshield after all these years.

Thanks for all the advice.

Mike Harper
'66 1600
Charleston SC