more battery terminal symptoms

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: more battery terminal symptoms
From: "Dave Stoll" <dgstoll@mint.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 21:08:58 -0700
I rode about 1hr with headlights and wipers going to visit some
friends.
I left their house and the roadster started fine, and off we headed
towards home.
About 5 miles from home I noticed the gas gauge was reading almost
empty and I knew that about 15 minutes before it read just under 1/2
tank.  The temp gauge was also reading at the first line at the bottom
of the curve.
I noticed all this when the dash lights were dim and would not adjust
brighter, the turn signals would not work either.

Shut the car off when I got home and checked the fuses. All ok, fan
works and radio played but when I tried to start the car there was
nothing, not even a click.

Put the jumper cables on and the car started right up.  Gauges all
went to reading as they should.  Took the cables off and shut off the
car.  It started two more times with no problem.  I'll be cleaning the
terminals tomorrow morning...classic dirty terminal problem

turned over 100,000 this week with no noticable oil consumption after
1,000 from last oil change....
daveS