Tire and Wheel Combo's

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Tire and Wheel Combo's
From: jon_wissler@pngc.com
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 07:45:31 -0700
        Daniel Beatty let me borrow the 14x7 panasports he was selling at
the Blue Lake Datsun show to see if they fit my 69 SRL.  No I'm really
pissed at him because I like them.  Despite warnings that the rears would
probably rub because the offset was too much, they seem to clear just fine
(as in barely).  No rubbing.  MY GAWD what a difference going to a wider
tire makes.  The car stays much flatter on corners without near the body
lean.  Tires are yokohama 195/60's.  The steering wheel wobbles a bit with
the wider set up, and I pick up a hell of a wobble around 30mph while
accelerating.  I'm sure my front end is in need of help, and I assume that
wider tires exacerbate any problems up front?  Also, I used the stock lug
nuts, which seem to have a problem staying tight, which of course is not a
good thing.  So, the question is, is there a special lug nut I need for
the panasports?  Also, where and how much would the center caps run for a
set?  Is 14x7 the width to go, or is 14x6 more manageable?  What would
folks think the optimum tire size for a 14x7 wheel should be for
non-competition but spirited recreational driving?  I'm going to run them
over to the tire shop today to have them balanced and checked for leaks
before I give them one more shot.  They're the white painted spokes
version, and they look pretty damn good on my white exterior/red interior
roadster.  Thanks in advance for your opinions.

P.S.  Since I did the GM one wire switch, I notice my signal lights blink
faster.  Does that make any sense?