More ABS griping

To: Chris Saulnier <CSaulnier@enerconmaine.com>,
Subject: More ABS griping
From: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:20:50 -0400
I'm not a fan of ABS either.  I've driven my wife's '97 GMC 2500, extended
cab, 5th-wheel hitch (not a duelie) mega truck daily 30 miles to work and
back for the past 4 years and I love it---EXCEPT for the darn ABS brakes.

Every time I'm stopping on sand or gravel or even simple bumpy surfaces
where the wheel will lift off the pavement for a split second (not panic
stops, just plain-old, every day brake use) the ABS kicks in and I find
myself traveling 10, 20 or even 30 feet farther than I intended.  These
same intersections/road sections are fine in my Ford Contour that doesn't
have ABS.  This can be very dangerous when you're driving in dry conditions
and haven't factored in this unexpected distance into the equation.  From
what I can tell, ABS hasn't shortened my braking at all--totally the
opposite--but worse, I don't feel I've gained any additional steering
control or other advantage in return.  What are we getting for this
expensive option, other than unpredictability?

Unsatisfied with the unfulfilled promise of ABS.
Alex Avery