4 hours

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 4 hours
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:07:17 -0700
What can you do in four hours?

Well, when I got to Roman Rist's place to work on my 67 2000, I was
pleasantly surprised to find that he had removed the hood. So I started off
by removing the radiator.

I left the shroud on as the bolts holding it to the radiator were frozen.
One strange thing: when I pulled off the lower hose, there was a piece of
coiled wire in the bottom of the hose.

I removed the fan and water pump and then decided to tackle the solex intake
and exhaust manifold. To take the manifold off, I had to first remove the
flex flange that attaches the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe. For
those of you who don't have this, get one. It keeps the rattling WAY down
and allows the entire exhaust system to move. The problem in removing it was
I had no lift. I had to lay on my back with two box ends and take the three
nuts off. Took a while, but I got them off.

By far the biggest problem I had was with the "Killer nut" as I will always
remember it. It is the lower nut on the exhaust port closest to the
firewall. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get to. Just to get the wrench in position
required the dexterity of a brain surgeon. I finally gave up when my friend
grabbed the wrench and approached it from the front of the car by reaching
her hand through from the front. It worked and the nut finally came off.

Roman helped to get the starter out, and I had the solex intake, header, and
the starter out.

Not bad for four hours.

Andrew Murphy
1964 1500
1967 2000 Solex (Almost ready for the frame off)
SoCalROC